Saturday, February 23, 2013

Revisiting The Pine.

Hello world, it's Gina. First things first,  I want to add some pictures Jason did not know I had of the polenta casserole and the homemade pizza. I actually really loved the pizza, Jason was not as fond of it because it was very rushed but hey, we've had a very rushed week or so. It was still everything a pizza should be and the first vegan homemade pizza we have made so there is definitely room for improvement. 



The polenta casserole was really just a way for me to use up stuff we had in the fridge that was near expiration date. You should try it, you can come up with some pretty cool recipes! Or some really awful ones. I've had it happen both ways, but it's always a lot of fun and I feel better knowing I'm using the food we bought instead of having to throw it away a week later. It consisted of polenta, tofu, mushrooms, daiya mozz and cheddar cheese and "Cheezy Sauce" from one of the vegan cookbooks we have. I can't even tell you how I made it because I think I modified like ten different recipes all into this one. It really did taste like scrambled eggs though, it was awesome. I always was a big omlet fan and now I think I might be on to something to replicate the taste. More on this once I experiment some more. 



I don't know if you are familiar with Frittata or not. Growing up my Dad always made it for us for breakfast. I've tried to make my own several times in the past but it is a little tricky being able to flip the mixture at the right time and I have had some major kitchen disasters. (spilling the egg mixture all over the stove etc.) My father has this down to a science though and I apologize but I could never reveal his Frittata making secrets however I can assure you he makes the best Frittata I've ever had, besides my Mom's of course. :) (which is likely the same recipe) However, Jason surprised me one morning with his own Frittata, it was awesome!! I can't wait to try some different ways to make it.


I had received an e-mail from one of our local restaurants The Pine about some special menu additions they had going on during lent and was pleasantly surprised to see a couple of options that were veganizable. 

A veggie burger with blackbean salsa on top! 



                                                        A "Vegetable Stack on Quinoa"


If you've been reading this blog for awhile you probably have realized that by default when we go out Jason always ends up choosing the healthier meal and I inevitably am eating a veggie burger or some sort of sandwich. I love bread. It's a problem, I'm working on it. 

Anyways, the veggie burger was awesome! The salsa they had on it was amazing and overall I was very pleased. Jason, however, did not have as great of an experience because his portobello mushroom tasted a lot like chlorine. I'm not sure what they marinated it in but it was pretty gross. He did not seem to have any complaints about the rest of the (very sparse) veggies on his plate. It was really nice to FINALLY see one of the restaurants nearby have some vegan options, we've had a lot going on recently and not cooking for ourselves was a much needed break! My only gripe is I wish they would keep this stuff on the regular menu. Why does it just have to be a lent special? 

Here is Stella and Max pretending to be statues on our bedposts this morning while I am probably watching Harlem Shake videos and hoping they don't jump on my head. 

No comments:

Post a Comment