Thursday, March 21, 2013

Happy Spring! (If you aren't in Pittsburgh where it's SNOWING)

Hello friends! Gina here. Thought I would give you a nice and hefty update on our food lives recently. We have a lot of ground to cover so let's get started.

I think it was last month when I decided we should start using tempeh more, it's so delicious and a nice change from tofu. The problem is, you can't really buy tempeh in bulk anywhere around here and it's expensive at our local Market District. So it will be a once in awhile treat. I did however make the most convincing version of bacon I have tasted yet! I used a recipe entitled "Tempeh Bacon" (surprising recipe name, right??) from Vegan with a Vengeance by Isa Chandra Moskowitz and it turned out awesome. I promptly made a vegan BLT and rejoiced. I think Jason was at band practice when I made this and when he came home I was giddy with excitement and then we both rejoiced and promptly ate all the tempeh bacon.




Every Christmas Day we spend the afternoon and evening with Jason's family at my sister-in-law's house. Her husband always makes Beef Wellington for dinner and he makes a delicious veggie version for us as well. When I saw the recipe for Portobello Wellington on Pinterest I was smitten immediately. The recipe is here. I had for some unknown reason decided to embark upon this recipe on a weekday after work. It is definitely a long process, I would save it for a weekend dinner or a holiday event. We did not sit down to eat dinner until about 8pm and had transformed into the grumpy versions of Gina and Jason that appear when we are starving. We made the entire recipe and it was absolutely amazing and by the time it was actually finished we really deserved it to be amazing or we probably would have broke all of our plates and ran into the streets screaming. 




The next one I want to show you is Chocolate Black Bean Brownies. I sadly did not get many pictures of these before they were devoured. We had a food day at work that I made them for and they got destroyed. Everyone loved them and they amazed me solely because you really cannot taste the black beans or peanut butter in these brownies. The way they come together they taste super fudgy and chocolatey and perfect, I was very pleased and cannot wait to make them again. I was actually going to make them tonight but Jason at some point ate the last can of black beans and it's cold and SNOWING(wtf spring?) out so I am not leaving my house. Here is my one picture of them, it's not a good picture and it makes the brownie look kind of gross when it was seriously like heaven. This recipe was from a blog called The "V" Word that I adore. I previously posted about Tofu Georgia which was another recipe from the same blog. Every recipe we have tried on there has been incredible. Jason made a really good sweet and sour dish from a recipe on there and I will let him tell you about it, but it was also super super good. 


Lastly, we come to my new favorite dinner (last two nights dinner anyways) which is pretty much just frittata again. I found a dinner fritatta recipe on The "V" Word and we made that last night. No pics though because my mama stopped by to see us and we got distracted and forgot to take one. I used this recipe for Spinach, Artichoke, and Mozzarella Fritatta and it tasted just like one of my favorite things, Spinach and Artichoke Dip. It didn't taste like you were eating dip though. It just was awesome. 
So tonight I used the same idea for my own fritatta and used up some stuff we had in the kitchen. I used one block of tofu and crumbled it up in a mixing bowl, I mixed in probably half a cup of nutritional yeast, two healthy squeezes of Dijon mustard, about a teaspoon each of garlic powder, turmeric, pepper and smoked paprika. On the stove I steamed mustard greens and assorted veggies. I used one small white onion and sliced it pretty carelessly regarding size. Once the veggies and greens were done I threw those along with the onion into the mixing bowl and got a little crazy. Mixed it all up with my hands because that's easiest and most thorough. I then added in a bunch of mozzarella Daiya which you can tweak to wherever your love of cheese falls on the cheese meter. In a pie pan I sprayed the bottom with canola oil cooking spray and then coated the entire bottom with panko bread crumbs. I then put my delicious mixture into the pie pan and pressed it down as much as I could. I sprinkled some bread crumbs and some more Daiya on top. I had preheated the oven to 400 and threw that sucker in for 30 minutes, let it cool for 10 and then grabbed a large dinner plate and flipped that baby upside down onto the plate.....and spilled stuff everywhere. It wasn't thaaaat bad, I just misjudged where the plate actually was so I lost a little bit of this glorious fritatta. It was so good, I wish I had made two of them because we devoured it almost entirely. 







Before I had any cats I had the best dog ever, I end this post with Rudy. 



No comments:

Post a Comment