Monday, September 16, 2013

No Grains!

Quick post since it's been a week or two.

Since last post, we went to see a naturopathic doctor who recommended to us that we try to cut back on the grains.  This has been tough since that eliminates breads, pastas, rice, seitan, most veggie burgers and fake sausages amongst a host of other things I cant think of until I want to eat them.

The discovery that Quinoa is not really a grain was awesome.

We've been making meals like the one we had tonight, for dinner, fairly often.

I totally invented it so I'll give a run down and feel free to change it however you want - I ain't no chef, I'm an insurance contractor.

Jason's Indianish Dinner 

I was craving indian food (again) so I made this for dinner.

What you'll need:
1 cup of dry Quinoa and 2 cups of water to cook it with.
2 tablespoons of olive oil
4 cloves of garlic chopped very small
1 medium red onion, chopped
1 package of white button mushrooms sliced
2 stalks of celery, chopped
2 small or medium carrots chopped
2 large tomatoes cubed
Probably about 5 cups of chopped kale
2 15 ounce cans of chickpeas
(feel free to adjust the levels of the below spices.  Like I said, a chef I am not, so I kinda just put in what felt right to me.)
 1 tsp of Garam Masala
1 1/2 tsp of cumin
1 tsp of ground coriander
generous pinch of dried parsley, oregano and basil
1 tsp curry powder
 1/4 to 1/2 tsp of turmeric
1/2 to 1 tsp of powdered ginger
1/2  to 1 cup or more of white wine (booze it up)
1 1/2 cups of water
veggie buillon

What I did:

-1.  In a small pot add 2 cups of water and 1 cup of quinoa, bring it to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover and let it cook for 15 minutes or until all the liquid is absorbed.

1.  Preheat a large pan or a stock pot with olive oil and then saute the garlic at medium heat for almost a minute, until it begins to brown.
2.  Add the onion, celery, and carrots and saute for 5 minutes.
3.  Add the mushroom and saute for 6 minutes.
4.  Add the dry spices and saute for a minute or so
5. deglaze with the white wine and then let it come to a simmer
6.  Add the tomatoes and mix well, cover and let cook for about 4 minutes stirring occasionally so it doesn't stick to the bottom about 5 minutes.
 7.  Uncover and add the water, bring it back to a simmer and add the buillon to dissolve
8.  Once simmering again add the kale by handfuls until its all submerged and wilting nicely. 
9.  Cover and cook for 7 minutes at a simmer.

Enjoy!

I thought it turned out pretty cook.

The Dr. told us to try to eat high protein meals.  Beans for breakfast. Snack on nuts and seeds.

Breakfast has typically been blackbeans and chickpeas with quinoa and green vegetables (broccoli, sometimes even arugula)

I started making an avocado sauce to go over the morning meal thats pretty good.

2 ripe avocodos
1 bunch of cilantro, chopped
1 large tomato, chopped
3 tablespoons of lime juice
1 tsp cumin
salt and pepper to taste
1/4 cup of water

Food process it all until smooth.

That's all I got time for!

Later!









No comments:

Post a Comment