Saturday, June 22, 2013

Guacamole: How to get possessed by Aztec Gods.

In 2010, during the cold, cold winter I read Gary Jennings' Aztec and loved the crap out of it.  I guess my love for ancient South America started when I was a very young buck (like 4 years old young) and I religiously watched The Mysterious Cities of Gold, an 80's weekly cartoon about a young orphan from Spain that gets wrapped up with a group of explorers searching South America for the Lost Cities of Gold in the 15, or 1600's (I cant remember).

Somehow aliens come into the story.  I kid you not.

I watched this when it was on TV in the 80's (Incidentally, a very dorky 28 year old Jason would find every freaking episode of the aforementioned French/Asian cartoon and re-watch it on Hooloo over the span of a couple weeks.  He loved it just as much as his 4 year old self did.)  and from this arose a really intense kid-love of anything Myan, Incan, or Aztec.

Anyway - you may be wondering where I am going with this.  Well, I'll tell you.

The fantastic novel Aztec may not mention it, but Guacamole came to us directly from the ancient Aztecs.  Its of 16th century origin and literally translates to Avocado sauce.

Gina is going to meet up with some co workers today - and I offered to make some guacamole for her. 

Once upon a time I followed a recipe from this that I found online - but since then I've stopped and just kind of put in whatever I want.  Let's just say the spirit of ancient Aztec takes me and I lose all sense of space and time and find myself, suddenly, with delicious green goodness.  Something like that.

Here's what yinz'll need:



2 ripe acacados
2 tomatoes (chopped up with a Macuahuitl - you know, an Aztec sword.  If you dont have one of these just use a sharp kitchen knife.  Be careful.)
3 cloves of garlic (minced)
1 small red onion or half of a large one.  (see above instructions for the tomato)
lemon juice (3 tablespoons)
Cumin (1 teaspoon)
salt and pepper to taste

1.  Combine the tomatoes with the avacadoes.
2.  Add the garlic to the tomatoes.
3. Combine the onions with the stuff already in there. (I am fully aware of how unnecessary the photographs of these steps are - but lets be honest, guacamole doesnt really take a master chef to concoct, I needed to fill space with something.) 


4.  Add the cumin to the mix:
5.  Add the salt, pepper, and lemon juice (After the cumin I got a little over ambitious and stopped taking pictures of the next few steps.  That's probably where Quetzalcoatl (you know, the Aztec feathered serpent god?  Duh.) possessed me and guided my hand in the final steps of Guac making.)

6.  Mix well with a fork smashing up all of the avocado. Its best enjoyed pretty immediately. Enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment